Katie Anna: These are the people in my neighborhood

Friday, September 3, 2010

These are the people in my neighborhood

There's nothing I love more than people watching. These are some of my favorite people in my neighbourhood:

Crazy house guy: Crazy house guy has this 3 story old wooden house buried in the middle of an upper middle class neighbourhood. You might not notice it at first as it's buried among trees, there's no lawn due to the crazy foliage and weirdness everywhere, (crazy house guy has a standard or slightly smaller than standard city lot and I am unsure how he got it so wild looking). The first time I saw it I thought it was a burnt down building, it took me about a month to realize that no thats just how it looks. He's always working on it out back but it never looks any different. Crazy house guy never has less than 9 giant bags of cat littler on his "porch" (not sure it really qualifies as porch but whatever), and his latest addition is an old toilet. I once found a woman staring at it in the back alley. She stopped me and asked "Have you seen this?" I smiled and said "Yes I have". She said "What is it?" I didn't really know how to answer that. I looked back when I got to the end of the block and she was still staring at it in wonder. I really like crazy house guy. I recently learned that crazy house guy is actually a mathematics professor, go figure.

Linen Guy: Linen guy is new to the neighbourhood. He wears khaki pants, a white linen shirt, straw sunhat and metal rimmed sunglasses EVERY TIME I see him. He is very clean, he walks about the neighbourhood at a rapid pace, never stops and NEVER speaks to anyone. I was disappointed when he ignored me when I said good morning one day but I've made my peace with it. I like to imagine that linen guy is a multimillionaire who is recently recovering from a crack/heroin/crystal meth addiction and he walks to keep himself straight.

7:17 am guy and the regular dog: When we first moved here this guy walked his dog and every morning at 7:17 am his dog crapped on my lawn. At first I was kinda grossed out but then he just became a regular part of my morning, he always picks it up so at least he's polite. He stopped a while back and I though perhaps he switched dog food but then I saw him with a foot brace on so I think he just wasn't making it over this far. I hope he comes back. I liked him.

The BMW ladies: These are the super rich ladies who live up the street. (Note: If you go up one block from our house its the ritzy neighbourhood of the city, if you go a couple blocks past that its the industrial crappy part of the city, I like to call it "eclectic" ). These ladies are not limited to but do include almost all BMW's, it's generally their car of choice. The BMW ladies have a certain social etiquette that one must learn. If they are walking get out of their way, if you are walking get out of their way and absolutely most importantly you may only speak to them when spoken to. They are not my favourite.

The F Bomb lady: I was crossing the street in my car and this lady was standing at the corner with her dog, she was late forties, well dressed, pretty golden type dog. I waited but she didn't go, I thought she was waiting for her dog to pee, so I crossed. I guess I had bad timing because half way across she decided she wanted to go but it was too late for me to stop. I gave her the "oh I'm so sorry" wave and in return she YELLED F#%& YOU!! at me. I was so shocked I kept going but then decided that was totally inappropriate so I drove back around the block and chatted with her. I politely explained that I was very sorry for not stopping but that in the end I felt her language was inappropriate as I had my kids in the car and there were about a dozen other kids on the street at the time. She didn't really like that. I was very calm and polite, she seemed to like that even less, she said a few more nice things to me, I thanked her and went on my way. I'm pretty sure she drives a BMW.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love to hear from you.